DUI & DWI in Wyoming
If you or a loved one has been arrested for DWI or DUI, the best thing you can do right this minute is call a Wyoming DUI attorney. After all, the consequences of a drunk driving conviction are serious and life changing.
This article will blaze the trail for you by outlining:
- Wyoming DUI DWI Laws
- Wyoming DUI DWI Punishments
- Potential DUI DWI Defenses
- Wyoming’s Other Drunk Driving and Alcohol Laws
- How to Find a Wyoming DUI DWI Defense Lawyer
When is a Driver Considered to be Legally Drunk in Wyoming?
If you are driving unsafely because you have drugs or alcohol in your system or if your BAC (“Blood Alcohol Content”) is above the legal limits, you will be arrested for DWI (“Driving While Intoxicated”).
- Wyoming drunk driving laws are found in the Wyoming Statutes.
- Specifically, here are the WY traffic laws, including the WY DUI laws.
Here are the Wyoming BAC limits:
- BAC of .08 in over age 21 non-commercial drivers = DWI.
- BAC of .04 in commercial drivers = DWI. (School bus drivers are commercial drivers in Wyoming.)
- BAC of .02 in under age 21 drivers = DWI.
What is Wyoming’s Punishment for DUI Convictions?
The below penalties are enhanced significantly if your drunk driving causes serious bodily injury or death, including a miscarriage.
- 1st DUI Conviction: Up to6 months in jail – fines of $750- loss of commercial license -driver’s license suspension for 90 days – ignition interlock.
- 2nd DUI Conviction within 5 years: Between 7 days and 6 months in jail – fines of $200 to $750 – loss of commercial license – driver’s license suspension for 1 year – ignition interlock.
- 3rd DUI Conviction within 5 years: Between 30 days and 6 months in jail – fines of $750 to $3,000 – loss of commercial license – driver’s license suspension for1 year – ignition interlock.
Wyoming Drunk Driving Defenses
Police officers, witnesses, medical personnel, and even judges make mistakes. In fact, you may not be guilty of drunk driving. Being arrested doesn’t mean you’re guilty.
Your criminal defense lawyer will examine all the evidence to determine whether there is cause to:
- Have the criminal charges dropped,
- Reduce the charges to a lesser offense,
- Avoid a guilty verdict at trial, and/or
- Minimize punishment.
Wyoming’s Other Drunk Driving and Alcohol Laws
Wyoming’s Civil Liability for Serving Underage Persons
An injured person can successfully sue a licensed drinking establishment for legal damages ($$$)if the tavern, bar, or restaurant served an underage person.
Wyoming’s Criminal Penalties for Serving Underage Persons
It’s a crime to furnish alcohol to an underage person. If convicted, you’re facing jail time of up to 6 months and a $750 fine.
How to Find a Wyoming DUI Attorney
Get yourself protected. Hire a DUI defense lawyer.
To find a Wyoming DUI lawyer, search our website, www.attorneys.org, or ask friends or the bar association for a referral.