Tax Law in West Virginia
Many people consult with a West Virginia tax attorney when faced with dealing with the IRS, the WV Department of Revenue, or their local tax authority. After all, the tax law is confusing and lengthy.
We’ll use this article to explain:
- When a WV tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a WV tax attorney deals with
- How to find FREE non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A West VirginiaTax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
Always check in with a tax attorney about your own case and unique facts. Here are example cases.
- Rick owns a bar in Morocco and needs to understand his obligation to pay U.S income taxes.
- Ilsa’s husband has put them in serious tax debt and she wants to know whether they can negotiate down the debt and whether a payment plan is available.
- Victor might owe $59,000 in taxes to the IRS; he wants to know what the IRS will settle for.
- Louis owes taxes on his gambling debt. The WV Department of Revenue has penalized him. What are his options?
- Signor also runs a bar and takes in a lot of cash. Signor has gotten wind of IRS investigators on the prowl. What action should he take?
- Sam wonders if his tax situation will get better as time goes by or if he needs a tax lawyer’s advice.
An West Virginia Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
- Personal income taxes
- Capital gains taxes (a type of income tax)
- Business taxes (all kinds, including income tax, sales tax, withholding taxes, self employment taxes, and mergers and acquisitions tax)
- Real estate taxes
- Federal gift taxes
- Federal estate state taxes
- Generation skipping taxes
West Virginia tax lawyers handle these types of tax issues.
- Interacting with taxing authorities
- Criminal defense for tax evasion, tax fraud, etc.
- Tax planning for individuals and businesses
- Tax return preparation
- Back tax return preparation
- Audits from any taxing authority
- Tax court cases
- Private letter rulings
Where do I Find West Virginia and Federal Tax Laws?
Here are links to relevant tax law:
- Federal Tax Laws –Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- West Virginia State Tax Laws- The West Virginia Code
- Your Local Tax Laws – Google your own locale (i.e. town, county, etc.) for local tax laws.
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
If dealing with tax laws, the IRS, or the WV Department of Revenue is more than you want to handle, consult with a tax lawyer. To find a West Virginia tax attorney, search our free site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.