Personal Injury Law in the District of Columbia
Many people are uncomfortable interacting with lawyers and going to court is downright scary. No worries. We think you’ll be happily surprised at your interactions with a Washington DC personal injury lawyer – and cases rarely go to court. Real life is not anything like TV.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in Washington DC, this article will make your feel more comfortable. We’ll briefly discuss:
- The kinds of cases that Washington DC personal injury lawyers handle.
- What you need to prove in a personal injury case.
- Why you should call a lawyer immediately.
- How to find a Washington DC personal injury attorney.
Would a Washington DC Personal Injury Attorney Handle My Case?
Consult with a qualified Washington DC PI lawyer to find out if you have a case. (No worries; case analysis is free.)
This is a listing the most common accidents and injuries.
Motor Vehicle Cases: Car, Segway, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bicycle, golf cart, RV, ATV, boat, airplane, scooter, cruise line, amusement park ride, construction zone, and mass accidents.
Defective Product Cases: Tires, medical equipment, cars, hair dryers, power tools, medicines, vacuum cleaners, machines, appliances, kitchen tools, chemicals, etc. have all been found to be defective at times.
Serious Injuries: Wrongful death, birth injuries, brain injuries, dog bites, adverse drug reactions, burns, scars, lacerations, bruises, broken bones, fractures, food-borne illnesses, nursing home abuse injuries, slip and falls injuries, medical malpractice injuries, and Mesothelioma (i.e. cancer).
How Do I Prove My Washington DC Personal Injury Case?
Your attorney will explain which theory of liability is appropriate in your case. Negligence is the most common theory of liability so we’ll show you what you have to win a negligence case.
- First, you need to show that the person (or company)who caused your injury had a duty to you that was breached.
- Second, you need to show the person’s unreasonable actions or inactions caused your injury.
- Third, you need to show that you suffered legal damages because of those injuries (i.e. lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and medical bills).
Why Should I Call a Personal Injury Lawyer Immediately?
- Because the call and advice on how to move forward is available at no charge.
- Because the PI law firm will often send investigators to the scene of the accident to talk to witnesses and document conditions.
- Because insurance companies will try to convince you to settle for less than your case is worth.
- Because insurance companies will try to trick you by taping phone calls and using your words against you later.
Because your case must be filed within the statute of limitations or it will be forever barred.
Here are some example Washington DC statute of limitations for personal injury cases:
- Medical Malpractice is 3 years (D.C. Code В§ 12-301(8)).
- Personal Injury is 3 years (D.C. Code В§ 12-301(8)).
- Wrongful Death is 3 years (D.C. Code В§ 12-301(4)).
- Property Damage is 3 years (D.C. Code В§ 12-301(4)).
How Do I Find a Washington DC Personal Injury Attorney?
To find a Washington DC personal injury lawyer, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a loved one for a referral.