Tax Law in Virginia
Thinking of the IRS or even the Virginia Department of Taxation leaves many of us shaking in our shoes. Even those who toe the line get nervous and wonder whether they should consult with a Virginia tax attorney.
If you have a tax concern, this article was written for you. Here’s:
- When a VA tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a VA tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A Virginia Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
If you don’t see your individual situation below, don’t worry. Consult with a tax attorney and ask if he or she handles your kind of type of case. These are just sample cases that a tax attorney would handle.
- Marcia’s husband is a CEO is a big international corporation. He may be indicted for tax evasion and she’s concerned about what that indictment may mean for her and her children.
- Isaac wants to know how to deal with the IRS during an audit. He’s concerned his business partner was laundering money.
- Brody received an IRS audit letter and he doesn’t want to face the IRS alone.
- Bryce and Elaine’s estate planning attorney says that their mother’s estate should have been assessed with federal estate taxes of $45,000, not $500,000.
- The Virginia Department of Taxation is sending investigators to Jeremiah’s business next month. He’s nervous.
- Micah is worried because the IRS is disallowing what he thought were proper business expenses. The resulting tax hit is fierce.
A Virginia Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
- Income Taxes (Federal, State, and Local)
- Personal Income Taxes
- Corporate Income Taxes
- Business Income Taxes
- Capital Gains Taxes
- Investment Taxes
- Estate Taxes
- Gift Taxes
- Mergers and Acquisitions Tax
- Payroll (aka Withholding) Taxes
- Social Security and Medicare Taxes (aka Self Employment Taxes)
- Sales and Use Taxes (for instate and out-of-state (i.e. online) purchases)
- Real Estate Taxes and Real Estate Transfer Taxes
Where do I Find Virginia and Federal Tax Laws?
- Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- Code of Virginia
- Virginia specific taxes:
- Virginia income tax is graduated, starting at 2% and capping out at 5.75%.
- Virginia sales tax is 4% at a state level and 1% at the local level for a total of 5%; however, eligible food is taxed at a lower rate of 2.5%.
- Virginia does NOT have an inheritance tax or an estate tax.
- Local Municipal Laws and Regulations
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
the IRS and the Virginia Department of Taxation websites have a plethora of information on everything “tax”. However, keep in mind, this is non-legal help and only a lawyer can tell you how the facts of your case and tax law intermingle.
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
If you’ve received a notice from the IRS or Virginia’s taxing authority or you want help with a serious tax concern, you need a tax lawyer. To find a Virginia tax attorney, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.