Personal Injury Law in Virginia
Yes, Virginia, there is help for you if you or a loved one has been hurt in some kind of accident or at the hand of another. Your help comes in the form of the Virginia personal injury lawyer of your choosing.
- Why hire a personal injury attorney? To navigate the legal, medical, and insurance systems so you can receive the financial compensation you need and deserve.
- What will you be doing while your lawyer handles your personal injury case? Focusing on healing and caring for your family. Planning your future.
If you or a loved one has been injured in the state of Virginia, this article is meant for you. We’ll discuss:
- The kinds of cases that Virginia personal injury lawyers handle.
- What you need to prove in a personal injury case.
- Why you should call a lawyer immediately.
- How to find a Virginia personal injury attorney.
Would a Virginia Personal Injury Attorney Handle My Case?
These are the most common types of accidents and injuries that Virginia PI lawyers handle. You can check out PI attorney websites through our site, www.attorneys.org.
- ATV, RV, car, motorcycle, truck, cruise ship, boat, ferry, golf cart, bicycle, and pedestrian.
- Cars, tools, appliances, power tools, hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, saws, machines, medications, kitchen tools, equipment, and chemicals.
- Misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis, failure to treat, birth injuries, wrongful death, inappropriate surgery, adverse medication reactions, and mistakes in surgery.
- Injured workers may need assistance getting their benefits or filing a lawsuit if injured by a defective or mislabeled product.
- Food-borne illnesses, birth injuries, brain injuries, adverse drug reactions, scars, fractures, lacerations, broken bones, nursing home abuse injuries, burns, bruises, Mesothelioma (i.e. cancer), slip and falls injuries, dog bites, and wrongful death.
If you don’t see your individual situation listed, contact a personal injury firm and ask. The consultation is free.
How Do I Prove My Virginia Personal Injury Case?
To win your case, you must usually prove negligence.
- First, you need to show that the person (or company)who caused your injury had a duty to you and failed to act as a reasonable prudent person in that particular situation would act.
- Second, you need to show causation, meaning that the person’s unreasonable actions or inactions caused your injury.
- Third, you need to show that you suffered legal damages as a result.
Why Should I Call a Personal Injury Lawyer Immediately?
- As soon as you make the call to a personal injury attorney, you’ll have professionals on your side.
- Witness memories fade and physical evidence can disappear as weather conditions change, road signage is replaced, items are moved, and skid marks fade away.
- Insurance companies will call you.
All legal matters have time limits.
Here are some example Virginia statute of limitations for personal injury cases:
- Medical Malpractice is 2years and up to 10 years, depending on the type of malpractice and when it’s “discovered” (Va. Code В§ 8.01-243(A) and (C)).
- Personal Injury is 2 years (Va. Code В§ 8.01-243(A)).
- Wrongful Death is 2 years(Va. Code В§ 8.01-244(B)).
- Property Damage is5 years(Va. Code В§ 8.01-243(B)).
How Do I Find a Virginia Personal Injury Attorney?
To find a Virginia personal injury lawyer, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a loved one for a referral.