Tax Law in Oregon
Just one phone call can change your life. If you have a tax problem, consider phoning the Oregon tax attorney of your choice and asking how he or she can help.
We’re happy to help as well. In this article, we’ll explain:
- When an OR tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes an OR tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
An Oregon Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
Oregon tax attorneys help with all kinds of tax issues; here are examples:
- The IRS has assessed Jean-Luc as owing $20,000 in back taxes, penalties, and interest; he’s hoping to lower his tax debt with an Offer of Compromise and wants to know if he qualifies.
- Jim’s wages are being garnished by the IRS and, as a result, he can’t pay his monthly bills. He wants the garnishment lifted and help in handling the IRS.
- Deanna’s tax debt has grown substantially because of penalties and interest. She’s hoping to qualify for an abatement and have the penalties removed.
- William is worried that his business may not be paying enough in taxes. He wants an assessment of his business, operations, and tax.
- Spock didn’t realize that he should have been paying U.S. federal income taxes all these years. He needs help with the IRS and back taxes – and the Oregon Department of Revenue as well.
- Uhura wants a second opinion on the federal estate tax return for her father’s estate.
- Leonardfeels harassed by the IRS and wants a professional on his side.
An Oregon Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
Tax lawyers handle tax planning, the preparation of tax returns, and interactions with the IRS, the Oregon Department of Revenue, and local taxing authorities. They work with taxes that arise:
- When you earn money (income taxes). Income taxes includepersonal and business income, short-term and long-term capital gains, self-employment (Medicare – Social Security), and payroll (withholding) taxes.
- When you own assets (real estate tax).
- When you transfer assets (transfer taxes). Gift as well asmergers & acquisition taxes.
- When you buy products and services (sales tax and use taxes).
- When you die owning assets(federal estate and generation skipping taxes and Colorado estate taxes).
Where do I Find Oregon and Federal Tax Laws?
Though an attorney is likely needed to explain how tax laws apply to you, here are direct links to the law:
- Federal Laws –Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- State Laws – Oregon Revised Statutes
- Local Laws – Google your own county and township (city, town, borough, village, etc.) laws.
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
If you want legal support when facing the IRS, the Oregon Department of Revenue, or your local taxing authority or if you have any other tax assistance, help is available. To find an Oregontax attorney, search our free site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.