Tax Law in New York
Have your received a letter from the IRS or the New York Department of Taxation and Finances? Are you concerned that you’re paying too much – or too little – in taxes? Do you need to file back taxes or deal with a tax dispute? If your concern has the word “tax” in it, a New York tax attorney is likely needed and this article will help.
- When a NY tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a NY tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A New York Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
New York tax lawyers handle federal, state, and local tax filings; tax disputes; and tax planning, including:
- Tax Disputes
- Tax Extensions (NYState Tax Income Tax Extension and Federal Tax Extension)
- Back Taxes
- Tax Debt
- Tax Laws and Penalties
- Innocent Spouse Rules (for men and women)
- Tax Forgiveness and Payment Options
- Tax Evasion and Tax Fraud Charges
- Wage Garnishment
- Bank Account Garnishment
- Tax Liens
- Bankruptcy Discharge
If you don’t see your tax issue listed, no worries. Just call a tax attorney and ask if she handles those kinds of matters. She likely does (www.attorneys.org).
A New York Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
- Income Taxes (Federal and State)
- Personal Income Taxes
- Business Income Taxes
- Capital Gains Taxes
- Investment Taxes
- Estate Taxes (Federal and State)
- Gift Taxes
- Business Taxes
- Corporate Taxes
- Mergers and Acquisitions Tax
- Payroll(aka Withholding) Taxes
- Social Security and Medicare Taxes (aka Self Employment Taxes)
- Sales Tax(for instate and out-of-state (i.e. online) purchases
- Municipal Taxes (aka Local Taxes)
- Use Taxes
- Real Estate Transfer Taxes
Where do I Find New York and Federal Tax Laws?
Here are helpful links and tax guidance so you can find as much detail as you want. However, to fully understand how the law applies to your situation, get good legal help.
- Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- Consolidated Laws of New York
New York is actually a high tax state. For example:
- NY’s personal income is tax ed on a graduated scale from 4% to 8.82%
- NY’s sales tax is 4% on the state level and varies on the county and city level. The combined rates vary from 7% to 8.75%.
- NY does not have an inheritance tax, but it does have an estate tax on assets over $1 million. The New York estate tax goes as high as 16% on estates above $10,040,000.
- Your Local Municipal Laws and Regulations
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
Both the IRS the New York Department of Taxation and Finance can provide tax information – but not legal advice. To get legal advice about your individual situation, you need to consult with a licensed tax lawyer.
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
It’s always the right path to get good legal advice. If you have a tax concern,consult with a NY tax lawyer.
To find a New York tax attorney, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.