Tax Law in Mississippi
Your tax situation likely feels complex – perhaps, even overwhelming -but you can remove overwhelm with good information and the help of a Mississippi tax attorney. This article will provide both.
For example, we’ll quickly explain:
- When a MS tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a MS tax attorney deals with
- How to find FREE non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A MississippiTax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
Just knowing you can get help, will reduce stress. Here are example tax cases. If you don’t see your tax issue, all you need to do is contact the tax lawyer of your choice and ask if you have a tax case.
Lucy and Ethel have figured out how to buy mink coats from an out of state supplier and avoid the Mississippi state sales tax. They both received a statement for use tax on the coats and need help determining how to handle the tax bill.
The IRS is auditing Ricky’s band. Ouch.
Fred is cheap and hasn’t paid income taxes on his rental income for 15 years. Ethel just found out and she’s afraid she’ll go to jail. Do they owe income taxes?
Mrs. McGillicuddy has just been arrested for tax fraud. She needs a criminal defense tax lawyer. Will Mrs. McGillicuddy go to jail?
Enrique, a child actor, needs to have back tax returns filed on his behalf. Will there be penalties or criminal charges? How much does he really owe?
The Mississippi Department of Revenue is questioning Jess’s bookkeeping methods and tax payments. He wants to know if he has been paying the right amount of federal and state taxes.
AnMississippiTax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
Mississippi tax lawyers work with all types of taxes and tax issues. Here’s a list:
- IRS and the Mississippi Department of Revenue Negotiations
- IRS, the Mississippi Department of Revenue, and local taxing authorities communications and interactions
- Criminal defense (tax fraud and tax evasion cases)
- Tax planning for individuals, families, and businesses
- Tax return preparation for individuals, families, and businesses
- IRS and Mississippi Department of Revenue audits
- Tax court cases
- Private letter rulings (PLRs)
Tax lawyers work with these taxes:
- Income taxes
- Business taxes
- Capital gains taxes (short term and long term)
- Payroll (aka withholding) taxes
- Self-employment(Medicare and Social Security)
- Real estate taxes
- Federal gift taxes
- Mergers & acquisition taxes
- Sales and use taxes
- Federal estate state taxes
- Generation skipping taxes
Where do I Find Mississippi and Federal Tax Laws?
Here are links to relevant tax law:
- Federal Tax Laws –Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- Mississippi State Tax Laws – The Mississippi Code of 1972
- Your Local Tax Laws – Google your own county and township (city, town, borough, village, etc.) tax laws.
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
A lawyer can explain how tax laws apply to your case. To find a Mississippi tax attorney, search our free site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.