Personal Injury Law in Louisiana
Are you wondering what you should do next? If you or a loved one has been injured, you may feel overwhelmed and stressed. You may be wondering whether you should call a Louisiana personal injury lawyer.
Yes, you should.
“Why should I call a lawyer?” you may be thinking.
Well, your future depends on it.
- The person, who caused your injury, will be represented by a defense attorney.
- You cannot trust insurance companies.
- There are a lot of paperwork, legal hoops, negotiations, evidence gathering, witness interviewing, legal research, and case preparation work.
- You need to pay your bills.
- If you’re like most folks, you don’t want to be hassled.
If you or a loved one has been injured in the state of Louisiana, this article is meant for you. We’ll discuss:
- The kinds of cases that Louisiana personal injury lawyers handle.
- What you need to prove in a personal injury case.
- Why you should call a lawyer immediately.
- How to find a Louisiana personal injury attorney.
Would a Louisiana Personal Injury Attorney Handle My Case?
If you were seriously injured on the job, on the roadways, in a medical facility, in a home, in a store, on the sidewalk, in a parking lot, in a business, or on the water in Louisiana, a Louisiana attorney would likely handle your type of case. Attorneys are licenses state by state.
Here are some of the cases Louisiana personal injury attorneys handle. If you don’t see your type of accident or injury, that doesn’t mean that you can’t get help. This is just a listing the most common accidents and injuries.
Example motor vehicle cases include truck, car, motorcycle, airplane, pedestrian, bicycle, golf cart, RV, ATV, boat, cruise line, and amusement park ride accidents.
Sometimes defective products cause injuries. Medications, medical equipment, drugs, chemicals, equipment, cars, hair dryers, power tools, medicines, vacuum cleaners, machines, appliances, kitchen tools, etc. have all been found to be defective at times.
Example injuries include fractures, death, dog bites, adverse drug reactions, burns, scars, lacerations, bruises, broken bones, nursing home abuse injuries, slip and falls injuries, food poisoning, medical malpractice injuries, misdiagnosis, missed diagnosis, birth injuries, brain injuries, and Mesothelioma (i.e. cancer).
How Do I Prove My Louisiana Personal Injury Case?
To win your case, you probably must prove negligence. Negligence is the most common theory of liability. Your personal injury attorney will tell you if an exception applies in your individual case.
First, you need to show that the person (or company)who caused your injury had a duty to you and failed to act as a reasonable prudent person (or company) in that particular situation would act.
Second, you need to show causation, meaning that the defendant’s unreasonable actions or inactions caused your injury. For example, you must show that but for the person’s unreasonable actions/inactions you would not have been injured.
Third, you need to show that you suffered legal damages because of those injuries. Examples would be medical bills, lost wages, lost benefits, pain and suffering, and for family members, loss of consortium.
Why Should I Call a Personal Injury Lawyer Immediately?
- You’ll feel better.
- As soon as you make the call to a personal injury attorney, you’ll have professionals on your side to collect evidence and give you advice.
- There is no fee for this immediate service.
- Evidence is easily lost if not professionally preserved.
- Insurance companies will pounce on you.
The statute of limitations may forever bar you from receiving financial compensation for your injuries if you delay.
Here are some example Louisiana statute of limitations for personal injury cases:
How Do I Find a Louisiana Personal Injury Attorney?
To find a Louisiana personal injury lawyer, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a loved one for a referral. Get help now so you can sleep better tonight.