Tax Law in California
If the taxman is pounding on your front door, appears suddenly in the dark of night like the grim reaper, or you think you hear him approaching from afar, a California tax attorney may be your guardian angel.
We’ll use the article to provide a foundation so you’ll know whether a tax lawyer is the professional you need. We’ll nutshell:
- When a CA tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a CA tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A California Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
California tax lawyers handle back tax filings; federal, state, and local tax filings; tax disputes; tax litigation; tax planning; and criminal defense cases. If you don’t see your tax concern listed, just call a tax attorney (www.attorneys.org) and ask if it’s a matter he or she would handle.
A tax lawyer may handle:
- Tax Planning
- Tax Controversies and Disputes
- Income Tax Extensions (CA State Tax Income Tax Extension and Federal Tax Extension)
- Filing Back Taxes
- Negotiating, Reducing, and Paying Tax Debt, including Tax Forgiveness and Payment Options
- Researching and Explaining Tax Laws and Penalties
- Filing for a Private Letter Ruling
- Implementing Defenses such as the Innocent Spouse Rule (for men and women)
- Criminal Defense for Tax Evasion and Tax Fraud Charges
- Wage Garnishment (Wage and Bank Account) and Tax Liens
- Filing for Bankruptcy Discharge of Tax Debts
A California Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
- Transfer Taxes
- Federal Estate Taxes
- Federal Gift Taxes
- Federal Generation Skipping Taxes
- Realty Transfer Taxes
- Mergers and Acquisitions Tax
- Sales and Use Taxes (e.g. Online Purchases)
- Income Taxes (Federal, State, and Municipal)
- Personal Income Taxes
- Business Income Taxes
- Capital Gains Taxes
- Investment Taxes
- Business Taxes
- Corporate Taxes
- Payroll(aka Withholding) Taxes
- Social Security and Medicare Taxes (aka Self Employment Taxes)
Where do I Find California and Federal Tax Laws?
For those of you who would like to review California and federal tax laws, here are the important links. Be sure to consult with a tax attorney so you know how the courts have interpreted these laws and how the laws apply in your specific case.
- Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- California Laws and Regulations
- California is a high tax state. For example:
- CA personal income tax works on graduated scale from 1% all the way up to 10.3%.
- CA sales tax ranges from 7.25% to 9.25%.
- CA has neither an estate tax nor an inheritance tax.
- Your Local Municipal Laws and Regulations
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
You can get non-legal tax help from the IRS the California Department of Revenue.
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
It’s always in your best interests to ask the tax lawyer of your choice if you have an issue or to find out how a lawyer can help. To find a California tax attorney, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.